The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting on behalf of the International Potato Center (CIP) to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Associate (Agronomy)
Location: Jos, Plateau
Recruitment Type: National (1-year renewable contract)
International Potato Center (CIP): CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a network of 15 Research Centers and 16 Research Programs mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture on behalf of CIP seeks suitable Nigerian for the position above at the CIP project location in Jos. NPSSP aims to support potato seed security in Nigeria by building local capacity within the public and private sector to supply adequate amounts of quality seed of in-demand and locally adapted varieties that meet the main market segment, while supporting smallholder farmers in maximizing their investments in seed through building capacity in on-farm seed quality management, good agricultural practices for improving soil health and fertility.
- Conduct capacity building interventions for ware producers, seed multipliers, farmers, partners, private sector enterprises;
- Coordinate and support planning and delivery of field days and training sites managed by partners and project;
- Provide technical backstopping to private seed and ware producers on seed and ware potato production, respectively;
- Work with partner to coordinate and monitor activities, such as extension training of trainers followed by farmer training, and monitor collection of all event and field data;
- Oversee day-to-day management and implementation of the project activities in close collaboration with Green innovation centers for the agriculture and food sector (GIAE) teams and project partners;
- Contribute to the data collection and present the activities, results, impacts and outcomes of the project at professional, donor and other stakeholders’ meetings.
- Produce progress report of the field activities including maintaining database of monitoring data and managing and analyzing technical and economic data, write briefs and project technical reports;
- Document lessons learned and best practices on the project development, implementation, and oversight activities;
- Work effectively in the project team to develop a collegial, mutually supportive, and high-performance work atmosphere;
- Proactively take responsibility to ensure safety of humans and property and implement the project activities in timely manner in keeping with the budgets allocated;
- Carry out any other duties as assigned by the Country Team Leader or other senior members of the organization.
- Master degree in Agronomy, Pathology or related discipline with minimum of six (6) years’ hands on practical experience in training/field on agronomy, pest and pathogen, post-harvest, and related good agricultural practices of Irish potato.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Excellent skills in managing partnerships with senior-level officials to farmers
- Excellent knowledge and experience in supporting seed and ware producers to produce seed and ware potato respectively potato
- Excellent knowledge and experience in supporting seed businesses to produce seed potato via rapid seed multiplication technologies
- Excellent skills in coordinating and monitoring large scale agricultural training programs with several partners
- Experience in collecting diverse kinds of data from all activities
- Excellent data analysis, synthesis and report writing skills
- Advanced level of MS Office.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
31st December, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.