Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) is the world’s leading international development charity that works through volunteers to create a fair world for everyone. At VSO we pride ourselves on doing development differently. We fight poverty not by sending aid, but by working through volunteers and partners to create long-lasting change in some of the world’s poorest regions. In 2018/19, VSO supported over one million of the poorest and most excluded people in 23 countries across Africa and Asia.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: CFYE Gender & Economic Empowerment Adviser ( National Professional Volunteer)
Type of role: Advocacy policy and research
Start date: 15th April, 2021.
- The Challenge Fund for Youth Employment (CFYE) https://fundforyouthemployment.nl/, initiated by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), aims to create new jobs and make jobs more accessible for 200.000 youth (half of these for women) in the ministry’s priority focus countries in the Middle East, North Africa, Sahel & West Africa and the Horn of Africa.
- The fund is open to Private sector and (I)NGO applications (or mixed consortia). VSO will strengthen the work of the selected Implementing Partners through strategic VSO volunteer engagements.
- The aim of the Fund will be achieved by supporting youth employment initiatives in these regions. Initiatives will offer youth, particularly young women, opportunities for decent work that delivers better prospects for personal development, is productive, and offers a stable income, social protection and safe working conditions.
- Strengthen the private sector to engage with women and to create decent work for women that meets their aspirations and provides them voice and agency. Develop knowledge products for economic empowerment and support the implementation of these tools within private sector companies, micro small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) and target communities.
Expected Responsibilities (to be confirmed and refined)
As a Gender Economic Empowerment Adviser you will:
- Support partners in developing knowledge products (definitions, guidance, tools, trainings, research, etc.) regarding gender responsive strategies in the employment sector for private sector partners.
- Support the role of women within employment projects.
- Advise on how to integrate and embed gender within the private sector into program and policy.
- Monitoring the use and results of the framework implementation, with contextually appropriate indicators and measurement tools. And if necessary, provide further support and guidance in the use of the framework to support the development of robust evidence of gender economic empowerment.
- Support in capacity building of the private sector on gender issues and process for integrating gender institutionally to create decent work for women that meets their aspirations and provides them voice and agency.
- Support in updating and adopting gender equality mainstreaming policies and strategies within the private sector.
- Support the partner with the implementation of baseline assessments in company and action plan settings to improve the gender equality.
- Facilitate training of trainers on gender framework, tools and guidelines for private sector companies.
- You work in a multidimensional project team, with experts on different kind of areas.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- You have a Bachelor / Master’s degree in Behavioral and Social Science, Gender, Development, international relations or related field
- You have 3+ years’ work experience with corporate social responsibility, gender policies, implementation and advisory, gender economic empowerment.
- A demonstrated understanding of issues and challenges related to gender.
- Ability to work independently as well as with multiple stakeholders in a time-pressured environment.
- Cross cultural awareness and ability to work amongst a diverse group of staff, volunteer and partners
- Good understanding of developing training modules and facilitation.
- Experience in training on gender and economic empowerment.
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Private sector experience.
- Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities.
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
- Open-minded and respectful
- resilient and adaptive to new situations
- facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
- seek and share knowledge
- VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
- This is a generic role description. We expect more specific jobs to become available soon for a start between April 2021 and June 2021. It is possible that the focus and responsibilities of this specific job will be slightly different. If you are interested in this, or similar positions, please express your interest by clicking on the ‘make an application’ button below. In this way we can start managing a talent pool and be prepared for future roles.
Terms & Conditions
In- country National volunteers:
- You will be sharing your skills with implementing partners and other stakeholders on a full-time basis. VSO covers your pre-placement preparation (training, medical and security clearance), arrange and covers your accommodation, medical insurance costs, work related expenses and a local living allowance.
- Advertised duration: The duration of this placement will be 6 months or possibly 12 months.
Application Closing Date
19th January, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online