Beaconhealth Diagnostics is a patient-focused organization providing high-quality diagnostic services in clinically-underserved areas in Nigeria. Our mission remains to provide excellent healthcare to Africa’s next billion.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Scientist
Location: Uyo, Akwa Ibom
Employment Type: Full-time
- The laboratory department is one of the important segments required to offer quality services to patients in our clinic. We expect our Laboratory scientists to treat our patients with utmost professionalism, attend to patients promptly, and relate with them with respect and kindness.
- Ultimately, our goal at Beaconhealth Diagnostics is to provide the best patient experience and the most accurate and timely clinical results.
The day to day routine of BeaconHealth Laboratory scientist includes five key responsibilities which are:
- Treat all patients with absolute care and courtesy irrespective of their age.
- Work behind-the-scenes, processing laboratory tests that doctors count on to correctly diagnose and treat patients.
- Provide information for patient diagnosis and treatment by performing laboratory tests in toxicology, chemistry, hematology, immunology, and microbiology laboratories; receiving, typing, testing, and recording blood bank inventories.
- Identify abnormal blood cells, detect cancerous tumors, perform cultures and identify bacteria and viruses, and assure safe transfusion of blood products.
- Monitor testing quality and ensure adequate maintenance of the lab and lab equipment.
Below are the guidelines to the job expectations and responsibilities associated with these key tasks.
- Treat all patients with courtesy
- Welcome each patient with a warm smile and make them feel relaxed.
- Welcome them with courteous greetings like “Good day sir/ma, how do you feel? Don’t worry, you’ll be fine.”
- If the result of the test shows a bad result, never make the patient feel scared or sad about it..
- Maintain patient confidence by keeping laboratory information confidential.
Process all laboratory Tests:
- Head responsibility for collecting patient specimens required for processing in the lab.
- There must be an apt attention to details and ability to understand and follow procedures.
- Prepare samples for testing using various types of laboratory equipment.
- Assess the validity of the results that are obtained, preserve proper records of the results and make the report of results. Make sure that the testing method used follows established quality control procedure and supervise the lab assistant in the preparation of laboratory reports.
Provide information for patient diagnosis and treatment by performing laboratory tests:
- Organize work by matching computer orders with specimen labeling; sorting specimens; checking labeling; logging specimens; arranging reports for delivery and keep work surfaces clean and orderly.
- Serve as a technical resource by participating in staff training; answering questions of other professionals; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks and participating in professional organizations.
- Identify and communicate abnormal patient conditions by alerting supervisory personnel, the pathologist, the patient physician, or nurse; reporting mandated information to the public health department or other designated officials.
- Identify the presence or quantity of drugs of abuse, therapeutic drugs, and toxic substances by operating toxicology instrumentation and performing manual methods for the performance of drug screens, blood alcohol levels, and carbon monoxide levels.
- Provide test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating chemistry equipment and performing hand chemistries.
- Provide test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating hematology, urinalysis, and coagulation equipment; performing manual methods of differentials.
- Provide test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating equipment such as the gamma counter, spectrophotometer, densitometer, and through methods such as radioimmunoassay, enzyme immunoassay, and serological testing.
- Provide physicians with information for treatment of patient infection by performing technical procedures for the identification or susceptibility of bacteria, parasites, fungi, and mycobacteria.
- Serve and protect the hospital community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements.
- Enhance laboratory services and hospital reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Identify abnormal blood cells, detect cancerous tumors, perform cultures, identify bacteria and viruses, and assure safe transfusion of blood products:
- Ensure the patient receives compatible blood/blood components by completing blood typing, antibody screening, compatibility testing, and antibody identification procedures.
- Assure future retrieval of patient transfusion information by preparing patient packets and maintaining blood bank databases.
Monitor testing quality and ensure adequate maintenance of the lab and lab equipment:
- Contribute to a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers by following established standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Maintain quality results by running standards and controls, verifying equipment function through routine equipment maintenance and advanced troubleshooting; calibrating equipment, utilizing approved testing procedures and monitoring quality control measures and protocols.
- Candidate must possess a Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences as BMLS or AIMLT registered by Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN).
- Ideal candidate must be registered with the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (Current Practicing License).
- Must have completed mandatory National Youth Service Corp.
Application Closing Date
7th April, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV along with a Cover Letter to this email address: [email protected] specifying the Job Title as the subject of the email.