The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Manager – Higher Education
Location: Lagos, Sub Saharan Africa, NG
Pay band: 7
Contract type: – Two years fixed term
- To support the delivery of our new Higher Education portfolio of work within Sub Sahara Africa. The Programme Manager will be responsible for the successful implementation of the activities within the Higher Education (HE) portfolio in Nigeria.
- This will include leading on the implementation of our regional HE programme, Innovation for African Universities (IAU) and our soon to be launched Regional Insights Hub.
- The individual will also be responsible for managing the delivery of country level HE related activities and provide oversight and management of activities like the Study UK Campaign, our alumni work and all international education related work in Nigeria.
- The post-holder will manage all agreed HE activities in line with agreed timelines, costs, targets and established performance indicators.
- Work with programme/ project managers from other priority locations within the region and partners to develop and implement effective project management plans that will achieve project targets within agreed time frames.
- Lead responsibility for ensuring project management information is up to date at all times
- Prepare contracts for all grants and partnerships ensuring they capture all elements of the partnerships and outline clearly all grantee and partner responsibilities and benefits following established corporate templates
- Monitor and ensure delivery of grants and partnership benefits to funding and non-funding partners
- Provide guidance to team in the contracting of project contractors, consultants and suppliers ensuring they clearly capture all roles and responsibilities following established corporate templates
- Ensure that programme delivery, training events and activity are appropriately screened, including conflict sensitivity screening, and reflect British Council EDI policy
- Lead on programme reporting portfolio managed for British Council Diversity Assessment Framework
- Support team to develop and disseminate case studies, reports and impact stories for external and internal communication channels including digital and print media.
- Oversee the development and deployment of agreed communication strategy and plan in line with agreed activity and campaign plan
- Ensure relationships with stakeholders and programme partners are maintained by team, ensuring professional standards of communication, timely responses and follow through.
- Project manage cross project activity as assigned. This will include but not limited to, roll out of new processes, programme evaluations, one –off strategic projects etc.
Role Specific Knowledge and Experience
The ideal candidate should be skilled in the following areas:
- Evidence of successful programme / project management to high standards, consistently over time including (but not restricted to) evaluation management, financial management, stakeholder management, EDI and child protection.
- Working knowledge of UK and Nigerian Higher Education systems and policy
- Experience managing or supporting the delivery of Higher Education programmes, marketing campaigns and activities related to student recruitment and international higher education events
- Experience organising and managing events.
- Working knowledge of the UK and Nigerian Higher Education sector, structure, systems and discourse
- A working knowledge and understanding of international student recruitment campaign activities, platforms and models for delivery.
The successful candidate will need to possess the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience managing relationships with high level stakeholders within the UK and Nigerian HE space
- Experience of working in the area of international education marketing and delivering international education services
- Role holder must have existing rights to live and work in the country the role is based.
Application Closing Date
31st October, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online