The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Assistant (MM / AVRR)
SVN No.: SVN2021.06
Organizational Unit: Migration Management – Assisted Voluntary Return & Reintegration
IOM Classification: G5
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST) 6 Months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016). In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
- To meet these challenges, the European Union (EU) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (hereinafter “Joint Initiative”). Complementing this programme, IOM is also implementing additional projects that aim to protect the security, dignity and rights of returning migrants from along this important and dangerous migration route and to help improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach. This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows.
- The Initiative and complementing projects will aim at strengthening the technical and material capacities of the authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants in the region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
- Working under the overall supervision of the National Project Officer (MM/AVRR), Lagos, and the direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant (MM/MPA), in Lagos, the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of the AVRR component under the Migration Management Unit, with a view to strengthen local actors’ capacities especially at state level to provide improved rehabilitation and reintegration support services as required under the Migration Management Unit.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Provide overall support in the day-to-day implementation and monitoring of the Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration component under the Migration Management unit in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Provide rehabilitation and reintegration support to returned migrants in close coordination with the Senior Reintegration Assistant Reintegration and other AVRR units, by preparing, filing and presenting the documentation of vulnerable cases for references and monitoring.
- Provide technical and administrative support to relevant state and non-state actors, including training institutions, involved with providing rehabilitation and sustainable reintegration assistance.
- Liaise with relevant governmental, non-governmental (NGOs), international organizations as well as other relevant stakeholders, in coordination with the supervisor.
- Distribute travel allowances and return grants to returning migrants, as appropriate.
- Review conditions of the business plan as pertaining to the reintegration/AVRR program and raise any issue and carry out field visits to the beneficiaries’ business sites to monitor the implementation of the activities.
- Develop the beneficiary profile and needs assessment formats and ensure the documentation and filing of all beneficiaries in a database for reference and monitoring including regular update of beneficiaries’ information in a database.
- Collect, prepare and present information through periodic and ad-hoc monitoring reports on reintegration activities for evidenced-based programming. Assist in the preparation for the exchange of information to relevant counterparts.
- Facilitate the entry of returning migrant data as required in MiMOSA and/or other relevant database as required by the project in coordination with the Senior Reintegration Assistance. Prepare data for further processing, analysis and reporting.
- Support the monitoring of the reintegration of beneficiaries related activities when necessary.
- Provide support to the assessment of the qualitative and quantitative impact of grants and community projects.
- Undertake duty travel as required.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Law, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Human Rights, Business Administration, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 3 years of relevant experience or High School Diploma in the above fields with five years of relevant working experience
- Minimum five years (Three Years for holders of University Degree) of relevant experience in the field of migration including operational and field experience in an International Humanitarian Field.
- Previous work experience in international organizations and companies would be an advantage preferably within the United Nations or within the international humanitarian field.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality is mandatory.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international organizations and private sector entities.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, Good knowledge of information technology and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, and SharePoint.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge the local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This is a national position and only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Applicationn Closing Date
3rd February, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.