Grassroots Researchers Association (GRA) is a nonprofit and non-political rights-based organization registered in 2016 with the Corporate Affairs Commission of Nigeria as a local content hub aimed at facilitating evidence- based grassroots initiatives and actions that promote development, justice and victims support in the communities. Our mission is to be an active grassroots mobilizer towards improving the total quality of human life and social justice in Nigeria. Our programmes are spread across Climate Change, Conflict, Security and Justice, Social Economic Development and Governance. For more information, visit: www.grassrootresearchers.org
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consortium National Researcher (CNR)
Reference Number: CGE – CNR/BAY/2022/001
Locations: Yola – Adamawa, Maiduguri – Borno and Damaturu – Yobe
Employment Type: Full-time
Project Duration: 5Months
National Consortium Partners
- The Center for Girls’ Education (CGE) is a non-governmental organization that has been advancing the education of adolescent girls in Northern Nigeria’s rural communities since 2007. They specialized in innovative programming, advocacy, research, and strategic partnerships to create a safe space for girls to express themselves without fear of judgment or intimidation in a confidential setting and to increase girls’ educational attainment, build girls’ voice, and promote their future vocational aspirations.
- Grassroots Researchers Association (GRA) is a non-profit organization which facilitates community-led initiatives promoting gender equality and advancing the status of women and girls in northern Nigeria. GRA partners with local and international NGOs to support victim-led initiatives to prevent and respond to violence against women and girls, particularly survivors of CRSV, female genital mutilation/circumcision, E/FM, as well as persons living with disability in north east Nigeria.
- The Youth Initiative Against Terrorism(YIAT, formerly YOCAT) is a youth NGO that aims to weaken the appeal of Boko Haram in northern Nigeria through counter-radical peace education, skills training for vulnerable youth, and counselling services to victims of terrorism. Formed in 2010 as a volunteer-led network, the majority of their volunteers were themselves victims of terrorism.
- The Global Survivors Fund(“GSF”) was launched in October 2019 by Dr. Mukwege and Ms. Nadia Murad. Its mission is to enhance access to reparations for survivors of conflict-related sexual violence around the globe, responding to a gap long identified by survivors of such violence. The aim of funding this project is to act, advocate and guide states and civil society organisations to enhance access to reparations to all survivors.
- In Nigeria, thousands of girls and young women have been abducted, including from their schools, such as was the case in Chibok and Dapchi, others from their homes, villages and on the way to school. In slavery, the girls are subjected to horrendous ordeals, including systematic sexual violence, often for prolonged periods. For girls no longer enslaved, the suffering and impact does not end after their captivity. Instead, they continue to experience a wide range of harmful repercussions, including stigma, rejection of their children born in captivity, and severe psychological and physical health problems.
- A mapping of the possible pathways for survivors of conflict-related sexual violence to resume their education in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states, based on existing needs assessments Many girls cannot return to the schools they attended and from which they were abducted. Yet, theycanenroll in the formal education system or in adapted learning programmes tailored to their needs, in safe areas, if certain conditions are met.
- For some, it means accelerated learning or catch-up classes to finalize primary school or resume or start secondary school; for others this will involve attending vocational programmes and for yet others this means going to university.
- The Center for Girls Education (CGE), Grassroot Researchers Association (GRA), and Youth Initiative Against Terrorism (YIAT) have joined forces on this consortium scoping study, which is supported and funded by Global Survivor’s Fund (GSF).
- The National Consortium Researcher’s duties include supervising the entire research process and compiling the overall mapping operation’s final findings.
- She/He would concentrate on the aspect of state-based implementation for the activities. over the course of the five-month mapping process, working closely with all stakeholders, including partners, staff, survivors, the PSS consultant, the programme coordinator, and other pertinent governmental entities that would be taking part in the exercise.
- S/He would be travelling to the selected LGA’s and communities of implementations. S/He will also participate in trainings and guide other participants in effective delivery.
- S/He will provide support to data quality management, including data collection, quality checks, and reporting at the state, LGA and community levels as applicable.
- S/He will ensure processes and data collection and COVID-19 risk assessment and mitigation strategies meets the established standards of quality including reliability, usability and performance required for effective mapping.
- Ensure compliance with conflict/gender sensitivity and social inclusion as well as data confidentiality and ownership.
- S/he will be responsible for designing research and survey tools.
- S/He would be responsible for drafting state base reports, coordinate the activities at the state level and ensure effective implementation in the 4 selected LGAs with numerous communities.
- Collaborate with study personnel in the strategic planning of study implementation.
- Oversee the recruitment, training and supervision of research data collectors.
- Coordinate data collection for the study.
- Oversee accurate data entry into study database.
- Closely track study recruitment and enrollment and keep study NRC updated on progress to sample size.
- Ensure compliance with the study protocol and standard operating procedures.
- Consult with co-coordinator on appropriate management of participant problems and concerns.
- Ensure that the study is executed successfully and completed within time frames to meet research objectives.
- Oversee data management including data cleaning and analysis
- Collate state reports, write technical report and manuscript for publication or presentation.
- Perform any other programmatic duties related to the study
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Gender Studies, Peace and Conflict Management, Statistics, Demography, Economics, Sociology, Public Health, or another comparable Social Science field. PhD would be advantageous.
- At least three years’ worth of expertise in the study field in terms of research design, implementation, and publication relating to the project’s thematic area(s).
- Excellent knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research models and data analysis
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Experience working with multicultural teams.
Most Preferred Skills:
- Experience conducting similar field base studies in the BAY States
- Experience in writing high quality reports to funders and other stakeholders
- Excellent English writing skill with high level technical report writing skills.
- Highly proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Strong planning, time management and project management skills
- Strong people management and leadership skills
- Familiarity with quantitative data storage and analysis systems
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- Results-oriented, professional, accountable and proactive
- Attention to detail and ability to deliver to a deadline
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision
- Strong interpersonal and decision-making skills
- Excellent communication skills.
Core Required Competency:
- Collaborative spirit
- Relationship Builder
- Strategic problem-solver
- Agile and flexible
- Active communicator.
Application Closing Date
4th July, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to “the Joint Recruitment Committee (JRC)” via: firstname.lastname@example.org and copy: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title and Reference Number as the subject of the mail.