APIN Public Health Initiatives Limited/Gte, formerly known as AIDS Prevention Initiative in Nigeria is a non-governmental organization registered with the Nigerian Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC). APIN has built a strong partnership with the Nigerian Government, which is memorialized through a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the National Planning Commission. APIN is a leading Nigerian organization in the provision of prevention, care and treatment services to patients with HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis; Malaria; Reproductive Health; Family Planning; Maternal, Newborn and Child Health, and other non-communicable diseases of public health significance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Public Health Information (PHI) Database Specialist
Req ID: api-79384
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Department: Health Informatics
- PHIS3 seeks a PHI Database Specialist to lead its HIS solution development activities.
- The PHI Database Specialist will provide the delivery units with the domain knowledge and support necessary to facilitate effective HIS solutions development.
- The successful candidate will work with the other units in the management and designing database elements, accessing data for reporting, maintaining safe data backup systems, testing database systems, troubleshooting databases, handling data extraction requests, an adequate understanding of complex MySQL and SQL queries, and ensuring that databases are appropriately constructed and effectively maintained as directed by the funders. He/she will be responsible for database administration and provide day-to-day support to project system admin and users as required.
- The Database Specialist reports directly to the Public Health Information Systems Advisor in activity implementation and management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Build database systems of high availability and quality depending on each end user’s specialized role
- Design and implement database in accordance to end users information needs and views
- Define users and enable data distribution to the right user, in an appropriate format, and in a timely manner.
- Use high-speed transaction recovery techniques and backup data
- Minimize database downtime and manage parameters to provide fast query responses
- Provide proactive and reactive data management support and training to users
- Determine, enforce and document database policies, procedures, and standards
- Perform tests and evaluations regularly to ensure data security, privacy, and integrity
- Monitor database performance, implement changes, and apply new patches and versions when required
- Support the management of the hardware and software as related to the operations of the MySQL Server DBMS, including system development and maintenance, recommend the purchase of new hardware and software maintenance of records and reports relating to database operations and data/project archives.
- Support the implementation of the appropriate data management platforms as needed.
- Support project teams in preparing project results for presentation at office or partner level.
- Assist in writing proposals by drafting technical database-related sections and participating in work plan development.
- Run checks to ensure the security and confidentiality of identifiable health data.
- Support development of data procedural protocols, updates, and reviews.
- May lead small projects to build project management/delivery capacity.
- Performs software installations on staff computers and configures applications as specified.
- Working knowledge and understanding with a variety of technologies to effectively support end-users.
- Plan and implement scheduled database maintenance upgrades and other database software upgrades when necessary.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact with a broad range of end-users and use various technical resources to provide support.
- Manages database incidents/data requests and escalates them to your supervisor as necessary
- Demonstrates ownership of customer data issues and independently seeks solutions.
- Works under the direct supervision and follows specific instructions from your supervisors.
- Do not change procedures without your supervisor’s approval.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- B.Sc / M.Sc / MA in Database Administration, Software Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science discipline or relevant certification with 3 – 5 years’ experience providing high-level database development, management, and maintenance.
- Proven working experience as a Database Administrator
- Hands-on experience with database standards and end-user applications
- Excellent knowledge of data backup, recovery, security, integrity, and SQL queries
- Familiarity with database design, documentation, and coding
- Previous experience with DBA case tools (frontend/backend) and third-party tools
- Familiarity with programming languages API and other interoperability layer software
- Problem-solving skills and ability to think algorithmically
- Must speak and write fluent English, skills in oral and written communication.
- Basic understanding of Database Administrative industry practices.
- Solid knowledge and experience with database management and operations services tools and systems.
- Basic to intermediate proficiency with software applications and other open-source data management platforms
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite 2013 & 2016, Windows 7 & 10, Exchange 2010/2013, Active Directory.
- Basic knowledge of Cisco routers/switches and other networking devices.
- A willingness to increase knowledge and update skills as required.
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with all levels of staff, individuals from diverse cultures, and the public.
- Ability to multi-task and self-motivate through assignments and routines.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO) is an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
7th October, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online