Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic – The institution was established in 1976 as College of Technology, Birnin Kebbi by the then Sokoto State Government and became The Polytechnic of Sokoto State in 1980. With the creation of Kebbi State in 1991, the institution was renamed The Polytechnic, Birnin Kebbi and later, Waziri Umaru Polytechnic in 2002. Following the take-over of the institution by the Federal Government in 2007, it became Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic. Presently, the institution has 10 Schools and 34 academic departments.
The Governing Council of the Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic, Birnin Kebbi hereby invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Rector
Location: Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi
- The Rector is the Chief Executive Officer of the Polytechnic. He/She is responsible for all matters relating to the day-to-day management and operations of the institution.
- He/She is answerable to the Governing Council in the discharge of his/her responsibilities in accordance with the provisions of the Federal Polytechnics (Amendment) Act, 2019.
Qualifications, Qualities and Experience
Interested candidates for the post of Rector are expected to possess the following academic/professional qualifications, personal qualities and experience:
- Must hold a minimum of Master’s Degree from a recognized institution of higher learning in areas relevant to any of the programmes offered in the Polytechnic. Possession of Ph.D is an added advantage.
- Must be a Chief Lecturer of not less than 5 years of experience on the rank from the Polytechnic sector. Past and serving Rectors need not to apply.
- Must not be more than 60 years of age at the time of application.
- Must demonstrate evidence of strong academic, administrative and visionary leadership.
- Must provide evidence of membership of relevant professional body.
- Must provide evidence of scholarly publications in reputable journals in addition to Conference papers accepted for presentation at local/international conferences and workshops.
- Must be proficient in Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
- Must be a responsible, fair-minded and dynamic individual with impeccable reputation.
- Must present evidence of excellent physical and mental health from a recognized government hospital.
- Must be morally sound, an embodiment of impeccable character and free from financial embarrassment.
- Must be able to attract research and development grants to the Polytechnic.
- A person who is not likely to pursue racial, ethnic, political, religious or other sectional interests.
Terms and Conditions of Service
- In accordance with the provisions of the Federal Polytechnics (Amendment) Act, 2019, the Rector shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years beginning from the date of his appointment.
- The salary for the post is consolidated as provided for Rectors of Federal Polytechnics by the National Salaries, Income and Wages Commission. The appointee shall enjoy other benefits of the office as may be approved from time to time, by the Federal Government.
Application Closing Date
7th September, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are expected to submit twenty (20) typewritten copies of Applications including Curriculum Vitae and Photocopies of Certificates. The curriculum vitae shall cover the following:
- Full Names (Surname first in Capital Letters)
- Date and Place of birth
- State of origin and Local Government Area
- Marital Status
- Number and Ages of Children
- Current Contact Address including Telephone Number and e-mail
- Educational Institutions attended with dates
- Academicand Professional Qualifications obtained with dates
- Membership of Professional Bodies / Associations
- Honours and Distinction (if any)
- Key Conferences Attendant and papers presented with dates
- Community Service with dates
- Present employment to include status, salary, duties and any other relevant experience.
- Mission Statement/Brief proposal on repositioning the Polytechnic / Registry / Library (as applicable) for enhanced service delivery
- Other activities outside current employment
- Names and addresses of three referees. Applicant should request their referees to forward confidential reports on them directly to the Ag. Registrar, Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic, Birnin Kebbi.
Applications are to be submitted in a sealed envelope and marked “Application for the Post of Rector” on top left hand corner and addressed to:
The Ag. Registrar,
Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic,
P.M.B. 1034, Birnin Kebbi,